Saint Raphaël in Var
Saint Raphael casino
St Raphael
St Raphael
St Raphael
St Raphael

Since 1880, Saint Raphael is a seaside resort located at the border of the Var region and the Maritimes Alps. Saint RaphaelThe town is 8960 hectares and has 30km of coast, 30 sand and shingle beaches, and rocky inlets. The name of the town dates from 1065 when a roman church dedicated to the Archangel Raphael (now Saint-Pierre church) was built on the Episcopal land of Frejus and then it became a fortified village, the castrum. In 1073, it is named after Sanctus Raphael. The town’s name is written Sant Rafèu in the provencal dialect. With 35000 inhabitants, the urbanization is pretty dense and is next to the all natural Esterel massif which is maintained by the government. Saint-Raphael has 4 big sand beaches: the Veillat which is near the city center, in Boulouris, Dramont, Agay, and there are two smaller ones at Anthéor and Le Trayas. Off of Saint-Raphael there are the islands of the Lion de Terre (the Earth Lion), the Lion de Mer (the Sea Lion), the île d’Or (Golden island – private island) and île des Vieilles (island of the old women). Three important rocks overlook the sea : the Cap Roux at 360 m, the Saint-Pilon at 295 m and the rock of Saint-Barthelemy. Saint-Raphael has several hamlets; the city center, Plateau Notre-Dame, the Peyron St Raphaeland the new area of Santa-Lucia (Port). On the Esterel hights you can find Valescure with its golf courses, Vaulongue, P. eire Sarade, Aspé and Veyssieres. On the East coast, Boulouris-sur-mer is a little seaside resort divided between the Plaines, Esterel beach and Peguiere, then Dramont where Aigue Bonne is, the Cap Dramont and the Cap Esterel. Towards the Maritimes Alps, the Golden Corniche (coast road) goes through Agay and its beach, the Castellas, then Antheor with the Baumette and the beach and finally the Trayas. The town rapidly expanded with the construction of the Grand Casino in 1881, then of the protestant church in 1882, the Agay lighthouse in 1884, the Basilica of Notre-Dame de la Victoire… and then the Continental and Excelsior hotels at the beginning of the XXth century . The Corniche d’Or became an elegant meeting spot, and the villas, hotels and the Saint-Exupery family’s Chateau d’Agay embellished the Esterel scenery. Numerous personalities spent time in Saint-Raphael. Francis Scott-Fitzgerald wrote “Tender is the night”from there. The count Rohan-Chabot started the motor rallye “Paris – Saint Raphael Female version”, to which participated the countess Lesguern and the baroness Elern, then Betty Haig and Christine Beckers who won in 1974 driving a Lancia Stratos. Among the traditional and religious celebrations there are: the Mimosa Celebration with a procession of floral floats (Corso) and a night parade, the Miss Saint-Raphael election, the Sainte Baume celebration, Saint-Honorat with a pilgrimage and a provencal mass , the employers celebration, the Saint-Pierre – fisherman celebration, the Lights celebration during Christmas time with its street theater representations… and let’s not forget the numerous sport activities…

Useful information

Saint Raphael

Municipal Tourist Office****

99 Quai Albert 1er

83700 Saint Raphaël (France)

Tel: +33 (0)4 94 19 52 52

Fax: + 33 (0)4 94 83 85 40

flweb
flweb
flweb
flweb
flweb
flweb
flweb

C.G.I. Billon


Agnes Malecki
Camp du Domaine

La Meridienne

Carte littoral varois Hyères les Palmiers La Londe les Maures Bormes les Mimosas Le Lavandou Le Rayol Canadel Cavalaire sur Mer La Croix Valmer Saint Tropez

join us on
Facebook


Site map
| Directory | Advertise | Partners | Jobs | Contact | Legal terms | Provenceweb